Role Title: Production Engineer – Assembly
Reporting To: Production Engineering Manager
Role Purpose: To provide day-to-day production engineering support to the Alcon production system to deliver finished product to the required Quality, Cost & Delivery.
• Support the Manufacturing & production Engineering Manager in delivering smooth & effective support to the manufacturing business
• Achievement of KPI targets for, Quality, Cost, Delivery and Versatility
• Communicates by “exception” risk and/or concerns in time to allow recovery action planning
• Deals with constraints or secures support/assistance of the Manufacturing & Production Engineer Manager.
• Promote high level of housekeeping throughout manufacturing environment to 5S standard.
• Ensures processes tools and techniques are developed to “best practice” working with production
• The design and implementation of assembly and test processes for assembly (to include tools, equipment, fixtures etc)
• Sourcing and specification of new equipment including installation and floor plans.
• Estimate cycle times, set up times and prove-off times for new product introduction including calculating TAKT times and then checking for adherence or variation.
• Identifying project costs and agreeing on control limits with Manufacturing & Production Engineering Manager
• Continuous Improvement and cost reduction focused
• Work closely and be proactive with Design Engineers in order to optimise designs for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA) and feasibility of new products for assembly.
• Analysis of and solutions to problems relating to the assembly process (eg, identifying weaknesses in these processes and initiating the appropriate actions)
• Collecting data and investigating non-conformances to initiate corrective actions to achieve the division’s quality targets
• Supporting production on their daily targets and advise Production Team Leaders to ensure smooth assembly processes
• Give support to manufacturing engineering activities for identifying long-term manufacturing strategies
• Generating process documentation and maintaining it (PFMEA, Control Plans, Flow Charts & Process docs e.g., Work Instructions, Layout’s etc.)
• Specifying designs for fixtures & tooling for in-house or subcontract manufacture.
• Organise and chair meetings with other team members
• Co-ordinate projects
• Understands, fully complies and supports the Quality, Health Safety & Environmental Management Systems (IATF 16949, ISO 9001 & ISO 14001)
• Ensure clear identification of scrap, reject & sample materials and actively participates in the CAR procedure
• Ensures Environmental Health & Safety policy is adhered to all times.
Qualifications or Functional Experience
• Ideally degree qualified with a minimum of 5 years post-graduate Manufacturing/production Engineering experience, gained within a low to medium volume high-quality assembly environment (Safety critical components).
• Have a background in jig & fixture design, including build & prove out.
• Ability to conceptualise and specify assembly tooling and test equipment.
• A good working knowledge of APQP activities and PPAP preparation.
System or Knowledge
• Able to work with IT systems and possess a good level of PC literacy.
• Experience of working with CAD packages e.g. Solidworks, AutoCAD etc.
• Ideally experience/understanding of PLC programming
• An understanding of electronic, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic schematics
• An understanding of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID)
• Experience programming of Siemens and Schneider PLCs and HMIs (other system will be considered)
• Experience programming SQL, Visual Basic etc
• Knowledge and experience of using assembly presses, (Servo, pneumatic and or hydraulic)
• Knowledge and experience of vision inspection systems and software
• A no fault forward poke yoke approach to assembly processes.
To apply, please send a covering letter along with your CV to email@example.com