Job Title: Design Engineer
Reporting to: Chief Engineer
Prime Objective: To design and develop brake, clutch and actuation products to meet customer requirements within the target timescales. To be achieved through the use of own engineering skills and by liaison with other team members, suppliers and customers.
Alcon is a rapidly growing, privately-owned company with a turnover approaching £25m. It is a leading operator in the exciting world of motorsport (including F1), performance road car and ‘Special Vehicle’ braking. Alcon designs, develops and manufactures high-performance brake and clutch components from its facilities in both Tamworth and Northampton. To improve our competitiveness and to support planned growth, the design team is to be expanded, creating this exciting opportunity for an engineer to make a substantial contribution to the business.
This role requires a design engineer who can use their existing design skills to create 3D models & accurate detailed drawings. It also requires a self-motivated individual who can work under pressure in a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining the highest standards at all times. Good communication skills and the ability to work with other departments and suppliers will be essential. Alcon’s targets for continued growth are ambitious and as such, the job offers scope for progression and personal development as the company continues to build upon its existing strong position in the market.
- Operating in a team environment, design and develop actuation, brake and clutch components (and assemblies), that meet both performance and production efficiency criteria.
- Using Solidworks 3D CAD software, produce accurate solid models, component detail drawings, assembly drawings and customer installation drawings.
- To manage Engineering Change, Part Number, BOM and other business system data to ensure accurate control of product is maintained throughout the business.
- Using FEA software, undertake stress analysis calculations.
- Within established guidelines, ensure that components designed are technically sound, robust and cost effective.
- To liaise with Production Engineering, Manufacturing, Assembly, Quality, Purchasing & Suppliers and carry out a detailed ‘Design For Manufacture’ process on all new parts.
- To monitor the total cost of components and assemblies in order to ensure the most cost-effective production route is selected.
- To support the New Product Introduction process through into manufacturing, by liaison with other departments.
- To provide technical support to sales, manufacturing, quality and suppliers.
Ideally, candidates will have the following experience:
• HNC/HND in mechanical or manufacturing engineering
• 3D CAD experience
• Experience in designing CNC machined components from billet.
• Use and application of GD&T in creation of accurate production drawings
• FEA experience
• Understanding of automotive applications and other aspects of vehicle component design.
• Experience using Microsoft Word & Excel
• Degree in mechanical, automotive or manufacturing engineering
• 2 years’ experience gained using Solidworks
• Familiarity with designing castings and/or forgings.
• Drawings creation within Solidworks
• Solidworks Simulation and/or HyperWorks
• Design experience of brake, clutch or actuation components.
• A high degree of self-motivation and ability to work under pressure when necessary
• A team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who can work at speed to achieve tight deadlines
• Have the ability to work at speed whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Good communication skills
• Has the level of commitment to ‘go the extra mile’ when required.