Job Title: Senior Project Engineer – Special Vehicles
Reporting to: Chief Engineer – SV
Prime Objective: Engineering project lead for brake products that delight the customer, maximize profit, and strengthen Alcon’s position in the Armoured, Military and Special Vehicle sectors.
Engineering Project Management
• To manage the engineering content of new road car projects from enquiry stage through to delivery into production.
• To create and manage engineering project timing & resource plans by working with sales, production control, engineering and logistics departments, reporting progress through the Alcon Gateway process.
• To be the engineering customer liaison as required during the project phase ensuring alignment of Alcon timing with customer plans and gateways.
• To create product & project costings at the concept phase and support monitoring and management of costs and project profitability through the entire project life.
• To provide engineering project team leadership to ensure a timely focus on delivery to the plan including team readiness for each build phase within the project.
• To work with the Chief Engineer in developing and maintaining appropriate resource allocation to meet the demands in the Special Vehicle sector.
• To work with the Chief Engineer and Sales to develop robust project proposals through the feasibility and concept stages of the project. These studies will include brake system calculations to define the product suited to the application, product and project costing through liaison with purchasing, production engineering and operations and generation of the technical proposal. To the end of Gateway 1.
• To work closely with the Chief Engineer – SV and key customers, to develop and apply product designs that meet market requirements and give Alcon a performance edge over its competition.
• To manage the vehicle level interfaces between Alcon’s products and the customer vehicle. This includes product packaging and interfaces, impact of electronic brake control systems on foundation brake requirements and safety cases.
• To lead resolution of customer engineering issues utilizing Alcon’s Engineering & Development resources in conjunction with Alcon & customer change processes.
• To attend and support customer and Alcon vehicle tests involving new product as required.
• To evaluate suitability of Alcon product for packaging with the customer vehicle using CAD
• To define Alcon product specification and DVP requirements for a project, liaising with Development to ensure planning and procurement of test equipment and product support the overall project plan.
• Lead the development of the engineering elements of APQP with the team and support the other business functions to ensure timely completion of the APQP process and PPAP.
• To evaluate vehicle level performance of Alcon’s product.
Qualifications and Personal Characteristics
• HNC/HND in mechanical or manufacturing engineering
• Minimum of 5 years experience as an Engineer in the automotive environment.
• Understanding of automotive applications and other aspects of vehicle design
• Working knowledge of D-FMEA, P-FMEA, DVP&R & APQP
• Sufficiently commercially aware to recognize the impact of his actions on the bottom line
• A high degree of self-motivation and ability to work under pressure when necessary
• A team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who can work at speed to achieve tight deadlines
• Eloquent and outgoing, able to build strong relationships with suppliers and customer engineers and liaise on technical matters with other departments
• Has the level of commitment to ‘go the extra mile’ when required
• Ability to supervise work of other department members when necessary
• Degree in mechanical, automotive, or manufacturing engineering
• Experience in automotive brakes/chassis engineering/development
• 3D CAD experience
• Experience in working within an IATF16949 environment